Updated: Dec 10, 2019
Are you a pizza fan? As I was writing the intro to the recipe I googled "Pizza definition" and here are the top ones:
"A sacred food gifted to mankind by the gods. Very delicious and cheesy with tomato sauce and toppings of your choice"
"The most amazing Italian food ever in history"
Pretty much! I always really enjoyed pizza growing up, it was actually our Friday night tradition as a family for as long as I can remember. My favorite was thick crust Hawaiian toppings (Pineapple on pizza is the best!). With the years though, I found that my body was not liking having the greasy, carb heavy pizza on a weekly basis ( who would of thought🤷🏻♀️). So I started experimenting in the kitchen. Needless to say, there were a lot of fails. I tried the cauliflower pizza and it never did it for me.. So here comes the sweet potato and oat crust! Wow. This recipe is a game changer! I have tried different recipes and adjusted it to make it more nutritious and delicious until I created the perfect recipe.
This recipe is simple (very little ingredients), cost efficient (No fancy ingredients here!), delicious (mix of spices really add a nice touch) and nutritious ( filled with fibre, complex carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals). Basically the best pizza crust 🏆.
Portion size: One 12inch pizza
2 sweet potatoes
1 cups of oat flour (or flour of your choice)
1/2 cup of ground flax seeds
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a sauce pan, bring water to boil.
3. Cut up sweet potatoes in 1 inch cubes and add to boiling water.
4. Turn down to medium heat and cook for 10-15 minutes (until potaotes are soft.
5. Placed boiled potatoes in mixing bowl and mash.
6. Add egg and mix well.
7. Add oat flour and ground flax seeds and mix.
8. Add all the spices and mix well.
9. Place dough on parchment paper (The dough will be REALLY sticky- it is normal.
10. Place a second piece of parchment paper over the dough and roll dough (Goal: 1/2 inch thick)
11. Place rolled though on pizza sheet and remove top parchment paper.
12. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes (until golden)
13. Take out, let it cool.
14. Add topping for your choice and ENJOY :
My favourite toppings are: TACO PIZZA and PESTO TOFU.
For the Taco Pizza, I spread sour cream first, then spicy salsa, topped with olives, arugula. Cheese is optional.
For the Pesto Tofu, I spread a thick layer of pesto (I love the Kirkland Brand) then add scrambled tofu cooked with BBQ sauce, shiitake mushroom, peppers and black olives.
What is your favourite topping? Let me know in the comment section below:)
Marie-Pier Pitre-D'Iorio, RD, B.Sc.Psychology