Updated: Dec 10, 2019
This is my all time favourite soup. The texture, colour and flavour has everything to make this a perfect fall must-have. This soup is full of nutritious ingredients that your body will thank you for :D Try it out and let me know what you think!
2 bags of frozen butternut squash (You can also use 1 big fresh butternut squash. I like the frozen because 1-It's cheaper 2- I don't have to cut it haha)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 green apple
1 red pepper
1/4 cup of ginger
1 tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
4 cups of chicken broth (I used bone broth I made from turkey bones)
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
Optional: Roasted chickpeas for topping
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven at 350oF
2. In a large bowl, combine diced butternut squash with 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 tbsp. cinnamon.
3. Place on baking sheet.
4. Cut up apple and pepper in small slices.
5. Combine in large mixing bowl 1 tbsp. of olive oil with nutmeg and cinnamon (1 tbsp.).
6. Place on a separate baking sheet
7. Bake butternut squash, apple and pepper for 35 minutes.
8. Cut up onions, carrot and ginger in small pieces.
9. In a large sauce pan, saute onions carrots and ginger with 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat.
10. Once onions have caramelized, add chicken broth.
11. Add roasted butternut squash, apple and pepper and reduce heat to low.
12. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I also added extra cinnamon because I LOVE cinnamon!)
13. Let it simmer for 30 minutes
14. With a hand blender, blend soup until texture is uniform (No chunks!)
15. Let it cool and ENJOY!
16. Optional: Top with roasted chickpeas for added crunch :)
I hope you enjoy this AMAZING recipe!
Marie-Pier Pitre-D'Iorio, RD